With more and more breweries opening their taprooms in Charlotte, our beloved Queen City is slinging some amazing craft beers and she sure can contend as a city that’s got it going on in the #beergamestrong department. And since we have a lot of love for our city and the #supportlocal movement, we reached out to a few CLT craft connoisseurs who are much more well-versed in this area and asked them to share with us their top crowd-pleaser brews. While that 24-pack of domestic may go a long way during your Super Bowl party, we encourage you to drink responsibly and instead consider picking up one of your local Charlotte craft brews and be the life of the party! (We are no beer snobs over here and are guilty of throwing back some Mich Ultras and Bud Lights back in our college days in Cola and Chucktown, SC; but there’s just so much more to life than that, y’all. YOLO and don’t waste your calories on crap beer–choose local craft when possible!)
So we asked our friends for their top local CLT brews that they think would be great to have if you’re hosting or to bring if you’re a guest to someone’s SB viewing party this Sunday.
First up: @CLTNativeAgain
Mike gave us his list of top 3 local beers (plust a bonus pick) for the big game ‘that are not too hard to track down’, plus a bonus 4th option! In no particular order:
- Birdsong Jalapeno Pale Ale: A nice refreshing brew with just the right amount of kick to complement whatever yummy food you have for the big game, and it should be available for purchase in cans in many places.
- Legion Brewing Juicy Jay: (Mike’s personal favorite IPA) A nice juicy citrus bomb that’s super easy to drink and sure to please. It’s only available in to-go crowlers from the Plaza Midwood and South Park locations. Pro-tip: if you get three crowlers, you get a free Legion koozie to keep it nice and cold!
- NoDa Brewing Coco Loco: A deliciously rich porter that is also easy to find everywhere. It is bursting with notes of chocolate and coconut that should take your party up a notch.
- Bonus pick – Wooden Robot Deal: The Super Bowl Crowler 3-Pack will be filled and ready to be picked up on Super Bowl Sunday. The 3-crowler deal comes with Good Morning Vietnam (a coffee-flavored vanilla blonde ale made in collaboration with Enderly Coffee), What He’s Having (a very solid IPA), and the Overachiever (a New England style IPA with a nice citrus kick.
Next up: @RickSpeed’s picks:
- Heist Brewing Citraquench’l IPA (7.1% ABV)
- Wooden Robot Galactic Nexus Raspberry Sour Ale (6% ABV)
- Resident Culture Just Dance it IPA (7% ABV)
Last but not least, our good friends from @PopTheTopCLT in South End also gave us their top picks:
- Birdsong Brewing Honey Pie DIPA: great IPA with a slight sweet ending
- Unknown Brewing Dirty Commie Heathen Russian Imperial Stout with Bourbon-aged Oak and Cherries: the name says it all, not boozy and very flavorful
- Triple C Brewing Golden Boy Blonde Ale: easy, light drinking beer to get you through 6+ hours of the Super Bowl
- Lenny Boy Brewing Life in the South Lager: clean, crisp, light and smooth lager
So there you have it, a great list of quality craft beer to get you through this Super Bowl Sunday. No matter which team you’re cheering for and how the game is going, as long as the food, the company, the commercials, the half-time show, and the BOOZE are great…SB Sunday will be a hit! What’s your favorite part of Super Bowl Sunday? Have you had any of these Charlotte beers? Do you have other CLT beers we should add to this list? Comment and let us know!